UTZ offers two different certifications: one for growers and one for handlers and processors:
UTZ Code of Conduct: This standard outlines good agricultural practices, environmental protections, as well as worker health and safety. The standard is based on continuous improvement over a four-year period and requires an annual on-farm audit.
UTZ Chain of Custody: This standard ensures the traceability of UTZ certified products after they leave the production site. The standard requires that all control points be satisfied before an operation can be certified. Chain of Custody audits are administered through one of two traceability program levels for tea and coffee: identity preserved, or a segregation system. For cocoa and hazelnut, SCS offers mass balance, identity preserved, or segregation Chain of Custody auditing.
Demonstrate your commitment to the sustainable production and handling of coffee, cocoa, tea, or hazelnut with UTZ certification. UTZ certified growers and handlers embrace sustainable business practices by protecting the environment, implementing fair labor practices and improving traceability throughout their supply chains. Labeling your products as UTZ certified attracts socially conscious buyers, retailers and consumers.
UTZ Certified is now part of the Rainforest Alliance
SCS Global Services has three decades of experience as a sustainability certification body and employs an international network of auditors to perform your assessment. SCS can certify individual sites, multi-sites or groups to the UTZ Code of Conduct as well as the UTZ Chain of Custody standard throughout the world.
- Service Offerings
- Program Details
Request an Audit
Before you apply for certification you must register your company with UTZ using the Good Inside Portal (GIP). Submit membership ID to SCS.
Use the GIP to request certification through SCS Global Services.
Prepare For Audit
SCS will supply interested parties with a certification manual and self-assessment checklist to assist in the preparation for on-site auditing.
An SCS auditor assesses your operation on-site.
SCS will review the auditor’s findings and communicate any non-conformities with the operation. Once non-conformities are addressed, an UTZ certification will be granted and license requested from UTZ.
Once license has been approved, you may begin trading under the UTZ program and use the UTZ logo on and off product.
Coffee, cocoa, tea, and hazelnut producers and handlers can apply for UTZ certification. Producers are certified to the Code of Conduct standard, while handlers, including packers, distributors, and transportation services, are certified to the Chain of Custody standard.
- Institute good agricultural practices
- Improve working conditions, including health and safety
- Protect the environment
- Improve operational efficiency and product quality
- Differentiate from your competitors
UTZ certified producers must conform to a wide variety of requirements including:
- Efficient use of water and energy
- Waste management
- Promotion of ecological diversity
- Protection of nature
- No deforestation of primary forests
- Soil fertility management
- Diversification of production, to support ecological diversity and economic resilience
- Integrated pest management (IPM)
- Application of national laws and ILO conventions regarding wages and working hours, including the living wage concept for individual farms
- No forced labor or child labor
- Freedom of association and collective bargaining
- Promotion of ecological diversity
- Safe and healthy working conditions
Save time and money by bundling your UTZ audit with one of SCS’ other services including:
- USDA Organic
- SQF or GLOBALG.A.P. food safety
- Fair Trade USA
UTZ is one of the world’s leading certification programs for the responsible production, processing and handling of coffee, cocoa, tea, and hazelnut.
- Employ good agricultural practices to increase quality of product
- Gain preferred access to buyers and retailers
- Communicate your commitment to sustainability on and off product with the UTZ Certified logo
- Increase operational efficiency and traceability
Ready to start the process? Complete an Application.