Corporate Environmental, Social, and Quality Achievements Highlighted in SCS Global Services’ Latest Annual Report
Millions of acres of forestland and agricultural crops worldwide, thousands of business and consumer products, and a diverse range of companies and organizations earned recognition for environmental and social achievements from third-party certifier SCS Global Services (SCS) in 2015. The SCS Annual Report, published earlier this month, shines the spotlight on steps being taken in the public and private sectors across a wide swath of industries to reduce environmental impacts, improve working conditions, and assure product quality.
A pioneer in third-party certification of environmental, sustainability, and product quality claims for more than three decades, SCS noted that in 2015, for example:
- Nearly 12,000 building and furniture products earned recognition for one or more “green building” related achievements.
- Carbon offsets equaling 22+ million equivalent tons of carbon dioxide emissions were verified.
- Over 2500 Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) chain of custody certificates were issued, along with more than 160 FSC forest management certifications.
- 800 food safety audits were conducted, primarily under Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) recognized certification schemes.
- Nearly 100 agricultural companies’ crops were certified for sustainability-related claims.
- 75 chain-of-custody certificates for marine seafood and farmed fish products were issued under the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) and Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) standards.
- More than 50 certificates were issued for conflict-free responsibly sourced or recycled precious metals and jewelry.
SCS auditors criss-crossed the planet, engaging with innovative companies and organizations to conduct certification audits on six continents.
“Our vision is to promote sustainable decision-making and policies throughout the economy, in order to safeguard our environment, support workers and communities, and raise the standard of living for all,” said Linda Brown, SCS Senior Vice President. “Our Annual Report provides readers with a window into the world of certification, and demonstrates the degree to which the values of sustainability now permeate business initiatives across the globe.”
SCS Global Services has been providing global leadership in third-party environmental and sustainability certification, auditing, testing, and standards development for over 30 years. Its programs span a wide cross-section of industries, recognizing achievements in green building, product manufacturing, food and agriculture, forestry, retail, and more. The SCS Kingfisher certification mark now appears in conjunction with a broad range of business and consumer products and services certified by SCS, to help certified clients communicate their exemplary achievements. SCS is a chartered benefit corporation, reflecting its commitment to socially and environmentally responsible business practices. It is also this year’s winner of the Acterra Business Environmental Award for Sustainability.