SCS Global Services was named "Best Validation Company" and "Best Verification Company" in Carbon Trading Magazine's 2012 Carbon Market Survey. Members of the carbon industry were invited to vote on their peers based on efficiency and quality of service, reliability in the market and the ability to adapt to changing market conditions.
"We are honored to be recognized by our peers and clients in the carbon market," said Dr. Robert J. Hrubes, Executive Vice President of SCS. "I credit this success to our exceptional staff and cadre of contract auditors. We are fortunate to have a team that not only has a high degree of technical knowledge of carbon standards, but has a strong focus on customer service."
Examples of carbon offset projects and greenhouse gas (GHG) inventories that SCS has assessed during the past year include:
- Alto Mayo REDD Project (Verified Carbon Standard)
- Madre de Dios Amazon REDD Project (Climate, Community and Biodiversity Standards and Verified Carbon Standard)
- Gualala River Forest Project (Climate Action Reserve)
- Avoided Conversion of the Danau Siawan Peat Swamp Forest (Verified Carbon Standard)
- Boa Vista Afforestation/Reforestation carbon project (American Carbon Registry)
- Berkeley County Landfill Gas to Energy Project (Climate Action Reserve)
- Delta Airlines GHG Inventory (The Climate Registry)
- Juniper Networks GHG Inventory (Carbon Disclosure Project)
- Rockingham County Landfill Gas Combustion Project (Verified Carbon Standard)
In addition to validating and verifying projects under voluntary carbon standards, SCS auditors are accredited to verify projects in compliance markets, including California's Cap and Trade program and the British Columbia Forest Carbon Offset Protocol. SCS has also assessed specific methodologies that are used by major carbon standards, including several methodologies for peat, soil carbon, agriculture, and the REDD, and Improved Forest Management project types.
SCS has established itself as the premier verifier for forest carbon projects in California, and has also led the way in international forestry and land use validation and verification in the last four years.
"In response to the increase in the development of carbon offset projects around the globe, SCS is pleased to have regional representatives in Africa, Latin America, and Southeast Asia to bolster our pool of local expertise and ensure a fast turnaround time for project assessments," said Christie Pollet-Young, Greenhouse Gas Program Manager at SCS.
SCS Global Services (formerly Scientific Certification Systems) has been providing global leadership in third-party environmental and sustainability certification, auditing, testing, and standards development for nearly 30 years. SCS' programs span a wide cross-section of industries, recognizing achievements in green building, product manufacturing, food and agriculture, forestry, retail, and more. An accredited certifier under ISO/IEC Guide 65, SCS provides services under a wide range of internationally recognized certification programs. SCS is a chartered benefit corporation and Certified B Corp™, reflecting its commitment to socially and environmentally responsible business practices.