More about FSSC 22000
Some information below is excerpted from the FSSC 22000 website.
What is FSSC 22000 Certification?
FSSC 22000 is a complete food safety management certification scheme, based on ISO 22000 and ISO 22002 standards. It is benchmarked by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI). FSSC 22000 assures food safety within your organization and throughout your supply chain.
What is the connection between FSSC 22000, ISO 22000 and ISO/TS 22002?
FSSC 22000 is a GFSI-level certification scheme that covers ISO 22000, ISO/TS 22002, technical specifications for sector specific Pre-Requisite Programs (PRPs) and additional requirements.
Who is eligible for FSSC 22000 Certification?
FSSC 22000 is applicable to the entire food supply chain including food manufacturers, food ingredient manufacturers, and food packaging material manufacturers The certification is applicable to any food processing or packing operation in which open food is handled, processed, packed, stored and distributed.
What is pre-assessment?
Pre-assessment is the process of internally evaluating your strengths and weaknesses relative to the requirements of the standard to determine your chances of completing a successful audit. Pre-assessments are encouraged to ensure that your site is fully prepared for the actual audit, and to help you identify any gaps that may need to be addressed.
How do I prepare for my FSSC 22000?
Your best chances of success are contingent upon these factors:
- Senior management support, including setting expectations and providing adequate financial and employee resources;
- Establishment of a food safety team;
- Establishment of food safety objectives with key performance indicators;
- Management and employee training to assure familiarity with the standard’s requirements;
- Records maintenance;
- Periodic internal audits;
- Regular meetings of management and staff.