Accreditation is the process by which a certifying body's competency and legitimacy as a neutral third-party are independently evaluated.
Many of the programs for which we provide certification or verification services require independent accreditation, while others do not. In either case, SCS is committed to upholding the highest principles of excellence as a neutral third-party, ensuring that we have the training, understanding, and capabilities to carry out our responsibilities, and operate without conflicts of interest.
Accreditation Services International (ASI)
- The SCS Forest Conservation Program was accredited as a Certification Body for the Forest Stewardship Council's (FSC) Forest Management, Chain of Custody, and FSC Controlled Wood Certifications. Initial accreditation: February 1996.
- SCS was accredited as a Certification Body for fisheries that meet the Marine Stewardship Council's (MSC) Principles and Criteria for Sustainable Fishing, and for Chain of Custody certification of operations that handle MSC-certified fish. Initial accreditation: January 2001.
- SCS was accredited as a Certification Body to conduct Chain of Custody certifications of operations that handle farmed fish under the Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) Chain of Custody standard. Initial accreditation: April 2012.
- SCS was accredited for the certification of farms that meet the Aquaculture Stewardship Council's (ASC) Farm scope for Salmon, Abalone and Tilapia (worldwide). Initial accreditation: March 2014, September 2015 and November 2015, respectively.
- SCS was the first Certification Body to achieve accreditation to certify the production of biomass, biofuels and other bio-based products worldwide under the Roundtable on Sustainable Biomaterials (RSB). Initial accreditation: November 2014
U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- SCS was accredited as a Certification Body for the National Organic Program (NOP) to certify organic crops, wild crops and handling operations. Initial accreditation: April 2002.
American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
SCS was accredited as a Certification Body under ISO 17065, an international performance standard for third-party certification bodies, covering the following services:
- Food safety auditing conducted on behalf of the Safe Quality Foods standards (SQF Code Edition 7). Initial accreditation: March 2009.
- Wood and paper products chain-of-custody for the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC ST 2002:2013 Chain of Custody of Forest Based Products). Initial accreditation: March 2009.
- level®, a multi-attribute furniture Certification Program for BIFMA e3-2012 Sustainable Furniture Standard.Initial accreditation: October 2010.
- Food safety auditing conducted on behalf of GlobalG.A.P standards (crops base: fruit & vegetables, combinable crops), including Option 1 V4.0 (single and multi-sites), Option 2 V4.0 (groups), Produce Safety Standard V4.0 (PSS), Mexico GAP V4.0, and Harmonized Produce Safety Standard V1.0 (HPSS). Initial accreditation: August 2011, December 2015, December 2012, November 2012, and December 2015, respectively.
- Indoor Air Quality for SCS's proprietary Indoor Advantage™ and Indoor Advantage™ Gold and FloorScore®. Initial accreditation: March 2009.
- Auditing against the Fair Trade USA Farm Workers Standard V1.1 and Fair Trade USA Independent Smallholders Standard V1.1. Initial accreditation: July 2013.
- Auditing against the Chain-of-Custody for Forest Products Australian Forestry Standard AS 4707:2014. Initial accreditation: July 2016
- Food safety auditing conducted on behalf of PrimusGFS, including Good Agricultural Practices (GAP), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Food Safety Management Systems (FSMS) and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) scopes. Initial accreditation: July 2016
SCS was recognized by ANSI as an eligible Program Operator that develops Type III environmental programs and program declarations, and accredited as a verifier of Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs) that meets ANSI accreditation program requirements, as well as the requirements of ISO17065, ISO 14025, ISO 21930, and ISO 14020. Initial accreditation: March 2015
SCS was accredited as a Verification Body under ISO 14065 and 14064-3 for Greenhouse Gas Validation and Verification, including the following programs. Initial accreditation: May 2009
- The Climate Registry (TCR), General Verification Protocol;
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS);
- Climate Action Reserve (CAR), Forest Verification Protocol;
- The American Carbon Registry
The California Air Resources Board (ARB)
- SCS was accredited to verify carbon offset projects under the California Cap-and-Trade Program. Initial accreditation: February 2013.
Responsible Jewellery Council
- SCS was accredited as a Conformity Assessment Body to conduct audits against RJC Code of Practices and Chain of Custody standards. Initial accreditation: April 2014.