Clients Honored at 2015 Forest Stewardship Council® Leadership Awards
SCS Global Services is pleased to celebrate seven Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certification clients recently honored at the 2015 FSC Leadership Awards. Each organization received this distinction for demonstrating leadership in responsible forestry in a unique way, and each currently holds an FSC certification issued by SCS.
“These organizations have an abiding and demonstrable commitment to the health of forests, and the wellbeing of the economies and communities where they do business,” said SCS Executive Vice President Dr. Robert J. Hrubes. “We are honored and excited to provide certification services to these clients and we celebrate their achievements.”
The FSC Leadership Awards recognize long-standing and innovative industry leaders dedicated to using market-driven mechanisms to conserve forests. Through their FSC Forest Management and Chain of Custody practices, the following clients have played a key role in enhancing communities, forests, water quality, and wildlife habitat (award descriptions courtesy of FSC):
- Collins for being a founding member of FSC in 1993 and maintaining a long-term commitment to certified responsible forest management for over 20 years.
- GreenWood Resources for using 100% local FSC-certified wood and earning FSC Project Certification in the renovation of their Portland, OR offices.
- Herman Miller for leadership in the furniture industry and long-term commitment to offering FSC-certified options to customers.
- Menominee Tribal Enterprises for many generations of responsible management of tribal forest lands in Wisconsin, managed to the FSC standard for over 20 years.
- Minnesota Department of Natural Resources for managing the single largest FSC-certified forest in the United States at nearly five million acres.
- Pioneer Millworks for communicating the benefits of FSC to customers and supplying a wide array of reclaimed and FSC-certified products.
- Rivanna Natural Designs for weaving FSC throughout company operations and communicating the value of FSC to hundreds of award honorees.
“The award winners demonstrate that we all have a great opportunity – and responsibility – to help protect forests,” said Corey Brinkema, president of the Forest Stewardship Council US. “By building the market for FSC products, the award winners show we can conserve forests, even as we use forest products in our daily lives,” he added.
An annual event held during the Greenbuild conference, the FSC Leadership Awards were co-hosted by the World Wildlife Fund. Other winners included Clough Construction, Dogwood Alliance, Grim Locke, Mark Jacobs, Nordic Structures, and Sustainable Northwest. SCS was pleased to co-sponsor this event with Collins, Columbia Forest Products, RoyOMartin, and Certified Wood Products, and offers congratulations to all of the award winners.
About SCS Global Services
SCS Global Services provides leadership world-wide in third-party sustainability certification, auditing, testing, and standards development. Programs span across industries, recognizing achievements in green building, manufacturing, food and agriculture, forestry, and many more. SCS was a founding member of the Forest Stewardship Council, and is one of the world’s most respected FSC Forest Management and Chain of Custody certifiers. FSC License Code: FSC-A000521.
About the Forest Stewardship Council
The Forest Stewardship Council is an independent nonprofit organization that promotes environmentally sound, socially beneficial, and economically prosperous management of the world’s forests. FSC was created in 1993 to help consumers and businesses identify products from well-managed forests. FSC sets standards by which forests are certified, offering credible verification to people who are buying wood and wood products. More than 5,000 companies and nearly 160 million acres of forestland are certified under FSC standards in the United States and Canada. For more information visit www.fsc.org.
SCS Media ContactKathryn Mullins | Marketing Coordinator, Natural Resources
SCS Global Services To find out more, contact Kathryn Mullins, or call 510.452.6387 .