ClosetMaid, a business of Emerson, announced today that its ventilated wire shelving is now certified by SCS Global Services, a leading third-party certifier for environmental labels and claims, for being made from 90 percent recycled content.
ClosetMaid’s wire shelving products earned its first SCS Recycled Content Certification in 2010 for being made from 75 percent recycled steel, and was the first closet system on the market to earn this certification. Now, three years later, ClosetMaid products are made from at least 90 percent recycled content, including 86 percent post-consumer and four percent pre-consumer recycled steel.
“Our consumers and builders want environmentally-friendly products, so we’ve made a conscious effort to try to increase the level of recycled steel we use in our products,” says Lisa Engel, Vice President of Product Development and Marketing, ClosetMaid. “Using recycled steel in our products is not new. In
fact, we’ve been incorporating it into our wire shelving for decades, and we’re very proud of this.”
ClosetMaid’s durable, functional and customizable wire shelving is ideal for every area of the home–from walk-in and reach-in closets to kitchen pantries, laundry rooms and garages. The ClosetMaid wire shelving lines that carry the SCS Recycled Content Certification include:
· SuperSlide®: SuperSlide shelving is an all-purpose shelf with closet rods that provide unobstructed sliding for hangers. Corner shelves and rounder bars maximize space. Available in
12- and 16-inch depths.
· Linen: Linen is an all-purpose shelving that can be used in any room. Available in 6-, 9- and 20- inch depths.
· Close Mesh: Close Mesh is the preferred solution for pantry, linen and bath shelving, with shelving wires that are 5/8-inches apart instead of the standard one inch. The closer deck wires prevent small items from slipping through. The shelving is available in 9-, 12-, 16- and 20-inch depths.
· Heavy Duty: Heavy-Duty Maximum Load® shelving is ideal for garage or basement storage. It is available in a 16-inch depth.
· Shelf & Rod: Shelf & Rod is the most economical shelving option in the ClosetMaid ventilated shelving line. It’s available in a variety of depths – 10, 12 and 16 inches.
· TotalSlide®: Like SuperSlide, TotalSlide shelving offers one-piece installation with unhindered hanger sliding action. The low-profile, linen-style configuration is available in 12- and 16-inch depths.
To achieve SCS Recycled Content Certification, ClosetMaid’s wire shelving underwent an extensive audit and review by SCS Global Services. This included product performance testing and reviews of the manufacturing process, material tracking systems, sample invoices from suppliers of recycled materials, procedures for segregating recycled material from similar virgin material, evidence of traceability and descriptions of any anticipated changes to the product, manufacturing process or tracking
systems. Products with the SCS Recycled Content Certification can also help meet LEED criteria specified by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC).
For more information, visit ClosetMaid.com or call (800) 874-0008.
About ClosetMaid and Emerson
ClosetMaid® (www.ClosetMaid.com), industry leader in home organization and storage systems, is a business of Emerson™. Emerson (NYSE: EMR), based in St. Louis, Missouri (USA), is a global leader in bringing technology and engineering together to provide innovative solutions for customers in industrial, commercial, and consumer markets around the world. The company is comprised of five business segments: Process Management, Industrial Automation, Network Power, Climate Technologies, and Commercial & Residential Solutions. Sales in fiscal 2012 were $24.4 billion. For more information, visit
About SCS Global Services
SCS Global Services (SCS) has been a global leader in third-party environmental and sustainability certification, auditing, testing and standards development for three decades. SCS programs span a wide cross-section of sectors, recognizing exemplary performance in natural resource management, green building, product manufacturing, food and agriculture, retailing and more. SCS is a Certified B Corporation™, reflecting its commitment to socially and environmentally responsible business practice.
For more information, visit www.scsglobalservices.com.