Accreditation is the process by which a certifying body's competency and legitimacy as a neutral third-party are independently evaluated.
Many of the programs for which we provide certification or verification services require independent accreditation, while others do not. In either case, SCS is committed to upholding the highest principles of excellence as a neutral third-party, ensuring that we have the training, understanding, and capabilities to carry out our responsibilities, and operate without conflicts of interest.
SCS is an accredited certification body by Accreditation Services International (ASI) according to the following schemes:
- SCS Forest Conservation Program is accredited by ASI for the Forest Stewardship Council's (FSC) Forest Management, Chain of Custody, and FSC Controlled Wood Certifications. Initial accreditation date - February 1996.
- SCS is accredited by ASI for the certification of fisheries that meet the Marine Stewardship Council's (MSC) Principles and Criteria for Sustainable Fishing. Initial accreditation date - January 2001.
- The scope of SCS' MSC Chain of Custody accreditation by ASI was expanded in April of 2012 to include the Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) Chain of Custody standard.
- SCS earned status from ASI as a formal applicant for ASC accreditation in August of 2012. Scope currently applies to the ASC Pangasius Standard and we anticipate acquiring additional accreditations as new species' standards are finalized.
SCS is accredited by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) under the National Organic Program (NOP) to certify organic crops, wild crops and handling operations. Initial accreditation date - April 2002.
The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) has accredited SCS to ISO/IEC Guide 65, an international performance standard for third-party certification bodies. This accreditation covers:
- Food safety auditing conducted on behalf of the Safe Quality Foods standards (SQF Code Edition 7). Initial accreditation date - March 2009.
- Food safety auditing conducted on behalf of the British Retail Consortium (BRC Issue 6). Accreditation date: March 2011
- Food safety auditing conducted on behalf of GlobalG.A.P (Version 4.0) and Produce Safety Standard 4.0 (PSS). Initial accreditation Date - August 2011 and December 2012, respectively.
- Wood and paper products chain-of-custody for the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC ST 2002:20010 Chain of Custody of Forest Based Products). Initial accreditation date - March 2009.
- Indoor Air Quality for SCS's proprietary Indoor Advantage™ and Indoor Advantage™ Gold and FloorScore®. Initial accreditation date - March 2009.
- Multi-attribute furniture certification level™, Certification Program for BIFMA e3-2008 Sustainable Furniture Standard. Initial accreditation date - October 2010.
ANSI has also accredited SCS to ISO 14065 (and 14064-3) for Greenhouse Gas Validation and Verification. Initial accreditation date - May 2009. The accreditation includes the following programs:
- The Climate Registry (TCR), General Verification Protocol;
- Voluntary Carbon Standard (VCS);
- Climate Action Reserve (CAR), Forest Verification Protocol;
The California Air Resources Board (ARB) has accredited SCS to provide verification services for carbon offset projects under the new Cap-and-Trade Program. Initial accreditation date - Feb 2013.